bonehead move
What in hell was I thinking? I soft pedalled to the boat this morning, as it was a rest day, and the ride was short. With the price of gas at $3.00 a gallon, and another oil crisis imminent, I didn't feel like taking the Ford Explorer.
On the ancient, but still serviceable cannondale m300, the ride to the boat and to work from the boat was just fine. Now, it's raining hard enough to make you want to build an ark and I have no proper clothes to get home. I'm definitely going to be soaked. I just hope I am not hit.
Out the door I went at 7:00 pm dressed in a couple of jackets and a pair of blue jeans, the coldest, worst pair pants ever for riding in the rain. As I rounded the corner of the Hancock building, a 50 mile per hour puff of breeze attempted to throw me off my seat. I soft pedalled to the boat, and sat down dripping wet to read the rest of The Boston Globe.
As I finished each page, I pressed it into my pants to absorb some of the water. Scarfed down a Clif Bar, chocolate flavor, that was in my bag. And even treated myself to a Josh-Don't-Read-This cup of hot chocolate. The ride from the boat to my house, which is like 8 miles, was unpleasant, but acceptable. Jacked up on hot cocoa and 250 calories of Clif Bar, I had the juice to turn the pedals over, but tried to keep it smooth and safe.
We're going through a "boy this rain is good for the grass" week here in the Boston area, which is no fun at all. People who say it's boring to talk about the weather have never lived here. We go from punishing winter, to cold, wet spring, to glorious summer.
January/February/March are tough months in Boston. Yeah, sure, you can ride outside, and I do, but it's not a lot of fun. You reach a point where you just don't want to put the neoprene booties on again. You don't want to come home covered in the sand that's all over the roads. You don't want to watch the sweat drip off your head and freeze on your glasses.
The good thing about the commuter boat is if it runs, and it usually does, it doesn't take too long to get home. Travelling by car is a mystery. Some days it can be 45 minutes to Nantasket Beach, others, over an hour and a half.
On the ancient, but still serviceable cannondale m300, the ride to the boat and to work from the boat was just fine. Now, it's raining hard enough to make you want to build an ark and I have no proper clothes to get home. I'm definitely going to be soaked. I just hope I am not hit.
Out the door I went at 7:00 pm dressed in a couple of jackets and a pair of blue jeans, the coldest, worst pair pants ever for riding in the rain. As I rounded the corner of the Hancock building, a 50 mile per hour puff of breeze attempted to throw me off my seat. I soft pedalled to the boat, and sat down dripping wet to read the rest of The Boston Globe.
As I finished each page, I pressed it into my pants to absorb some of the water. Scarfed down a Clif Bar, chocolate flavor, that was in my bag. And even treated myself to a Josh-Don't-Read-This cup of hot chocolate. The ride from the boat to my house, which is like 8 miles, was unpleasant, but acceptable. Jacked up on hot cocoa and 250 calories of Clif Bar, I had the juice to turn the pedals over, but tried to keep it smooth and safe.
We're going through a "boy this rain is good for the grass" week here in the Boston area, which is no fun at all. People who say it's boring to talk about the weather have never lived here. We go from punishing winter, to cold, wet spring, to glorious summer.
January/February/March are tough months in Boston. Yeah, sure, you can ride outside, and I do, but it's not a lot of fun. You reach a point where you just don't want to put the neoprene booties on again. You don't want to come home covered in the sand that's all over the roads. You don't want to watch the sweat drip off your head and freeze on your glasses.
The good thing about the commuter boat is if it runs, and it usually does, it doesn't take too long to get home. Travelling by car is a mystery. Some days it can be 45 minutes to Nantasket Beach, others, over an hour and a half.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home