Thursday, April 20, 2006

On Money and Tom Brady

A friend at worked asked me how much money I’m spending on this trip. The answer, at this moment, is “a lot.”

The exact number isn’t in yet, but suffice it to say with all the money I’m spending, I could’ve purchased a pretty impressive second-hand mid-life crisis sports car.

One of the great aspects of going on long bicycle rides is you see a lot of guys out riding around in their mid-life crisis cars. For the most part, they look like fun. I’m just not sure if the world needs another balding, 40-year-old guy tooling around in a gently used Corvette convertible.

Over the weekend, I was out for a spirited ride and I saw a nice young man sprawled on the side of the road like a dead possum. He was in a motorcycle accident, and his stuff was in pieces everywhere. A crowd had gathered around him to observe the carnage.

As I passed by, a fine young man observed me in cycling attire and uttered the kind words, “Fucking faggot.”

Hmm. How nice.

There is something about cycling clothes that brings out the homophobe in young men everywhere, and I can’t quite figure out why.

Let’s study a different sport, professional football, for example. To the best of my knowledge, Tom Brady of the New England Patriots wears trousers that are constructed of a clingy material. In the process of doing his job, he approaches a man from behind who is bent over. Mr. Brady then puts his hands upon the man’s anus and receives the football.

I have never heard anyone call Mr. Brady a “fucking faggot” yet for reasons that escape me, young men all over the South Shore apply that term to cyclists in general and me in particular. Someday this will become clear, but for the moment, it remains a mystery.

I’ve learned that another co-worker, whom I quite like, has been diagnosed with cancer. His prognosis is good. He wants to maintain his privacy, and I shall respect his wishes, but once again, I am not filled with sorrow, but with anger. This is bullshit.

If the Bush administration spent the same amount of money on curing cancer as they are on a war that is not just, cancer suffering would be over. Or at least damn close to it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fxxxxxg Fxxxxt :)

IC 70

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home