Sunday, February 05, 2006

sunday ride

Coach Josh prescribed a 3-hour Endurance Miles ride today, but the weather was good due to luck or global warming, so I tacked another hour onto the outing.

Headed down to Duxbury to visit my past. Down by the harbor at the Sailing School, the frostbite fleet I had abandoned was still present. I rode past, said hello to Andy, and kept going.

My past revealed no secrets to me, so I decided to focus on the present. The wind had been on the nose for the first two hours, so it was pleasant to ride in a tailwind for the rest of the way home.

On a whim, I stopped at an open house in Hull, which was a mess, and learned that the Honey Fitz house down the street was going up for auction. The previous occupant, Mr. Jamie Edelkind, a convicted felon, was busy doing time for bank fraud so he wasn't able to make the nut.

He kept refinancing the property based upon phony statements of his wife's income, until he owed over $3.3 million. By the time banking authorities figured it out, it was too late.

It is interesting how the Kennedy name attracts ne'er do wells of all sorts. Another gentleman, who owned a stake in JFK's star sailboat, was convicted of dealing drugs.

Perhaps the next person to acquire the Honey Fitz house will also be overwhelmed by it. It's a mammoth old thing with mutliple heating systems, scores of rooms, and no small amount of maintenace.

Tonight, I'll be watching not the Patriots play in the Super Bowl. Between plays, not my commercials will be on TV. Well, what can you do.

You just have to sit down and take in the spectacle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home