Saturday, January 21, 2006

head cold causes problems

Today, I was supposed to take a field test, a 3-mile maximum effort to gauge the fitness, or lack thereof. A head cold has me down. I had the cold sweats the other night, so after a chat with Coach Josh, decided to postpone the test.

According to some online research, if the cold is above your neck - head, sinus, ears, a gentle workout can boost your immunse system. If the cold is below your neck, like in your lungs, you're just supposed to rest.

Conversely, a maximum effort workout can compromise your immune system and do more harm than simply resting. I took a 1 hour recovery ride and pondered all of the home brew cold solutions on the web.

Maybe some of them work, but there sure are a lot of sketchy proposals. Eat garlic. Drop hydrogen peroxide into your ears. Snort vitamin C in massive quantities.

I'll give some sudafed a try, and maybe trip out on some NyQuil tonight.

I'm feeling achy and not so great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home