holidays with the in laws
We drove down to Florida for Christmas with Linda’s people. It was a hell of a drive, what with three dogs in the car, one recalcitrant husband and Linda.
I brought the bike with me. The riding down here is pleasant, in that I do not have to wear tons of clothes. To be in shorts and short sleeves is very nice.
First day, I did an endurance miles ride for two and a half hours. It was nice.
Second day, I did a 3-hour ride with a 15 minute tempo session. My hart rate is still high on my tempo efforts, but what can you do.
I was tooling along yesterday on A1A southbound when I came across a single-engine, fixed-wing plane that had landed on the highway. The pilot was sitting on the ground and the officer was cowering at him. I reckon enforcement agents frown upon landing on their highways. The next day, the newspaper, Scripps Treasure Coast Newspaper, had a story, “Teen pilot lands plan on S.R. A1A.”
By Dan Garcia
SEBASTIAN – When his single-engine airplane began sputtering in the sky above Sebastian Inlet and dark smoke began seeping intot he cabin, Joel Scher of Vero Beach knew exactly what to do.
Scher, 19, shut off the plane’s engine and looked for a safe place to land. He glided the Piper aircraft safely to the ground, landing on State Road A1A about a mile south of the Sebastian Inlet Bridge just before noon on Saturday.
Shcer was flying with his friend Meredith Hickman, 19, and her twin brother Dustin. The two families said they will enjoy a thankful Christmas.”
Indian River County Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Flescher credited Scher with bringing down the plane while no traffic was on the road, and for maneuvering under some power lines while landing.
“He did an excellent job,” Flescher said. “There were no injuries to the passengers, there were no cars on the road, and there was no damage to the airplane.”
Personally, I was thankful I didn’t get mowed down by the plane.
I brought the bike with me. The riding down here is pleasant, in that I do not have to wear tons of clothes. To be in shorts and short sleeves is very nice.
First day, I did an endurance miles ride for two and a half hours. It was nice.
Second day, I did a 3-hour ride with a 15 minute tempo session. My hart rate is still high on my tempo efforts, but what can you do.
I was tooling along yesterday on A1A southbound when I came across a single-engine, fixed-wing plane that had landed on the highway. The pilot was sitting on the ground and the officer was cowering at him. I reckon enforcement agents frown upon landing on their highways. The next day, the newspaper, Scripps Treasure Coast Newspaper, had a story, “Teen pilot lands plan on S.R. A1A.”
By Dan Garcia
SEBASTIAN – When his single-engine airplane began sputtering in the sky above Sebastian Inlet and dark smoke began seeping intot he cabin, Joel Scher of Vero Beach knew exactly what to do.
Scher, 19, shut off the plane’s engine and looked for a safe place to land. He glided the Piper aircraft safely to the ground, landing on State Road A1A about a mile south of the Sebastian Inlet Bridge just before noon on Saturday.
Shcer was flying with his friend Meredith Hickman, 19, and her twin brother Dustin. The two families said they will enjoy a thankful Christmas.”
Indian River County Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Flescher credited Scher with bringing down the plane while no traffic was on the road, and for maneuvering under some power lines while landing.
“He did an excellent job,” Flescher said. “There were no injuries to the passengers, there were no cars on the road, and there was no damage to the airplane.”
Personally, I was thankful I didn’t get mowed down by the plane.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home