Wednesday, April 26, 2006

technical glitches, time to lose weight

To my four readers who attempted to post comments, my sincere apologies. There was a button I had to click in the setup template. I believe I have done as much.

Training is coming along and my numbers are slowly improving. Yesterday, I averaged 225 watts for 2.5 hours. To bring some perspective to that sad statistic, a pro on a 5-hour training ride routinely puts out 320 watts. On a big climb, the likes of Armstrong lay down 500 watts for an hour.

I can put out 330 watts for approximately 8 minutes, after which I need to recover for ten minutes. Then I can put out around 321 watts for another 8 minutes. After that, I’m done.

It’s time to start losing some weight. I’m hovering around 163.5 pounds. I can get under 160, but I need good weather, long rides, and big discipline at the dinner table to get there. I’ve given up dessert during the week. Saturday night, I am allowed one treat. It’s time to stop drinking soda.

Although weight is still a bit high, cholesterol is low. Had a screening today at the Health Fair and had two numbers: Total 160, and 71 HDL. That’s significantly better than before I started training. I believe I recall a “total” number in the two hundreds before I started riding.

This is the week we make Coach Josh look at some numbers. He doesn’t like looking at files, so we must send him some good vibes.

Part of the trip is I get to use a bicycle that is significantly nicer than mine. My four-year-old Trek 5200 is getting tired. Since I purchased it, a friend from work named Bryan has been through at least two, maybe three bikes. He rides only the best.

The Scott carbon fiber bike I’ll be receiving is lighter, stiffer, and faster than the current ride. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan is greedy.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home