Tuesday, November 27, 2007

defying gravity


In most families, the oldest hands things down to the youngest. Not so in this one. William Francis the younger has always gifted me his discarded items, including used clothing, used cars, including the Dodge Aspen with navajo interior, balky brakes, soft suspension, and a used cannondale mountain bike he beat to a pulp while wearing white tube sox up to his knees, short navy blue shorts with white piping strips, and cotton tee shirts. When people would see him in his retro gear, riding an old school, hard tail rig, they would hoot and howl.

Now, he's sending his old Raleigh road bike from the 80's up to his brother. While I haven't seen the new-to-me, 20-year-old ride yet, hope does spring eternal. I hear it's blue. I suspect it has vinyl bar tape and kick ass friction shifters. Ooh, this is going to be good.

This bike shall live in Boston, chained to a rack, and be available for around town cruising. If possible, I will find an old school white Bell helmet to wear while I ride it and some very tall white tube socks and Nike Cortez kicks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home