7 pounds
The spinning coach informs the class that the average person will gain seven pounds during the holiday season. What with the parties, tight schedules, and limited gym time, it's easy to understand why.
To combat the inevitable, I saddled up yesterday for an endurance ride that would burn a few calories. The health is a hair off, so I was determined to keep the effort at no more than 65% of maximum heart rate. In my experience, if you aren't feeling 100% and you go out and pin it, which in my case is around 186 beats per minute, you get significantly worse, not better.
The temperature was just above freezing, with one sighting of black ice on the road. But the sun was up, the karma was good, and the first hour was eff-ort-less. The second hour, the cold began to creep into my finger tips and toes and wouldn't get out. The third hour, I started fantasizing about hot soup, bread and butter, chocolate pudding, hot chocolate and hot tea.
After 3:38 I was ready to get off the bike, get clean, get warm, and get some food into me. As we count the Thanksgiving blessings, I'd like to add the weather to the list. Even though it's a hair cold, it hasn't rained, and I've been able to knock out over 175 miles in the past four days, which is good for the mind, body, and soul.
Best to all, especially my sister-in-law who is a loyal reader, but enjoys bad news better than shameless dog boasting.
JWB
To combat the inevitable, I saddled up yesterday for an endurance ride that would burn a few calories. The health is a hair off, so I was determined to keep the effort at no more than 65% of maximum heart rate. In my experience, if you aren't feeling 100% and you go out and pin it, which in my case is around 186 beats per minute, you get significantly worse, not better.
The temperature was just above freezing, with one sighting of black ice on the road. But the sun was up, the karma was good, and the first hour was eff-ort-less. The second hour, the cold began to creep into my finger tips and toes and wouldn't get out. The third hour, I started fantasizing about hot soup, bread and butter, chocolate pudding, hot chocolate and hot tea.
After 3:38 I was ready to get off the bike, get clean, get warm, and get some food into me. As we count the Thanksgiving blessings, I'd like to add the weather to the list. Even though it's a hair cold, it hasn't rained, and I've been able to knock out over 175 miles in the past four days, which is good for the mind, body, and soul.
Best to all, especially my sister-in-law who is a loyal reader, but enjoys bad news better than shameless dog boasting.
JWB


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home