Sunday, November 11, 2007

What a glorious human being

The other day at work, I was getting a cup of tea when a co-worker, David Banta arrived. As he glided by , I looked at him closely and thought, my God, I could cut myself on his cheek bones. I could sharpen a pencil with his collar bones.

The good Lord made David Banta fast and he runs often, but on this day he appeared altogether different. I asked the obvious question, "David, are you in form?"

Sheepishly, he answered, "I've been running a lot."

There is nothing in this world more glorious than a human being in form. Any fool on a treadmill can get into shape, there's no trick to that. But to be in form, now that is another matter entirely.

Like all human beings who are in form, Banta was saying nothing, but radiating energy that screamed, "DON'T YOU WANT TO BE LIKE ME? DON'T YOU WANT TO BE IN FORM? AREN'T YOU TIRED OF BEING A LUMMOX, YOU DESK-BOUND, SORRY SACK OF A HUMAN BEING? HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF? HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?"

In the office next to the great David Banta, the bitter Scott Noble, one of our favorite subjects, as he is the human incarnation of Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch, and once kicked my Haloween candy all over the floor before the children could take any, was ignoring the bellowing of David's form. Scott will only be able to ignore it for so long.

Even though he lives far, far away, I could hear David's form hollering at me all weekend. If form is a four-letter word, I have begun to unearth the "f." Today, I had a hair under 200 watts in me for a hair under three hours. Not great, but it is a start.

Thank you David Banta. You inspired me on a cold day to shut the hell up and just get on with it. Pox upon you, Scott Noble. You can't ignore the hollering of the form for much longer. And you can attempt to make fun of another man's form all you want, but if you don't have it, you might as well be standing on a seawall in Hull during a fierce nor'easter, wearing nothing but your underwear, spitting straight into the gale-force wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home