Thursday, November 08, 2007

turning over a new leaf

Last night, I was almost too tired to turn over the new leaf, to press on, to begin afresh. But a spirited chat with my associate Bubba gave me the energy necessary to give it a go. A new tire was installed on the back wheel of the Trek. That was a good start. Then it was time for new cleats for the commuter shoes.

The bolts were so rounded, I didn't think I was going to be able to get them off. But when hope was all but abandoned, as is so often the case in a great many endeavors, a bit of extra effort got the job done.

The old cleats were worn down to the thickness of a credit card. The new ones are fat and happy, so I ride upon reliable equipment, more assured of reaching my destination than ever.

One day, the cannondale will reach the point where it's more cost effective to buy a whole new bike than to keep replacing parts bit by bit. I haven't reached that point yet, but it's not that far away. To date, I've replaced a shifter, cables, brake pads, brakes, too many chains to count, untold casettes, rings, three sets of wheels,one set of fenders, many seats, and three sets of niterider lights.

Original equipment, with around 20-25,000 miles on it, includes frame, bottom bracket, seat post, cranks, left shifter, stem, handle bars, pedals, and rack.

The fact that the pedals haven't died is remarkable, as road-style pedals would've croaked a long, long time ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home