a reward for surviving the near-death experience
Well, the nice lady in the station wagon didn't kill me yesterday, so I rewarded myself today with some new tires. Nothing lasts forever, and bicycle tires are no exception. The middle of the tires are so worn, they're turning the color of the protective layer that resides beneath the tread, so my once black tires now have red stripes.
Ran over to see Rich the Righteous Wrench today during lunch and treated myself to two brand-new Specialized Armadillo tires, three new tubes with long stems, and a pair of new cleats for the commuter shoes.
The old cleats were paper thin, and I was starting to pop out of the pedals when I pinned it, which isn't good, as the last thing you want to do is stall when you open up the gas.
Someone should go to jail for selling two tiny pieces of metal for $29.95. Rich thinks the price point is about the insurance liability, not the product. It's all a mystery to me.
On the good news front, the Trek 5200 is a great joy to commute on, and I had a spirited ride, as my rig weighed 30 pounds less than the durable but sluggish cannondale. The Trek also brings back the bittersweet memories of getting up every day at 4:30 am to train for the Tour.
Nostalgia has a way of making everything seem all rosy red, but I remember the whole of it, and while the sense of purpose was a shot of adrenaline, the overuse injuries, aches, pains, perpetual cold, and exhaustion were not.
Soon, I will reinstate my weekly early-morning cup of tea with my brother. When the weather is cold, he meets me on his sidewalk and hands me a hot cup of tea that warms the body and inspires the soul. Provided he can get out of bed.
Ran over to see Rich the Righteous Wrench today during lunch and treated myself to two brand-new Specialized Armadillo tires, three new tubes with long stems, and a pair of new cleats for the commuter shoes.
The old cleats were paper thin, and I was starting to pop out of the pedals when I pinned it, which isn't good, as the last thing you want to do is stall when you open up the gas.
Someone should go to jail for selling two tiny pieces of metal for $29.95. Rich thinks the price point is about the insurance liability, not the product. It's all a mystery to me.
On the good news front, the Trek 5200 is a great joy to commute on, and I had a spirited ride, as my rig weighed 30 pounds less than the durable but sluggish cannondale. The Trek also brings back the bittersweet memories of getting up every day at 4:30 am to train for the Tour.
Nostalgia has a way of making everything seem all rosy red, but I remember the whole of it, and while the sense of purpose was a shot of adrenaline, the overuse injuries, aches, pains, perpetual cold, and exhaustion were not.
Soon, I will reinstate my weekly early-morning cup of tea with my brother. When the weather is cold, he meets me on his sidewalk and hands me a hot cup of tea that warms the body and inspires the soul. Provided he can get out of bed.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home