News from Father Harte

From J. Harte, encamped at Che-cau-go, in the territory of the Illini,
To Mr. Joseph Berkeley, gentleman-farmer of Hull Towne,
Massachusetts-Bay,
Sir,
The northern prairies are soggy and chilled, like unto the boggs and
marshes of old Cape Codd, and the homestead is in poor repair.
However, I am undaunted by these misfortunes.
I have been in the employ of the DD&B company, and it seems I shall
remain so through December. I have been chartered to represent, among
others, the interests of their client Mr. R. MacDonald, a noted
victualer hereabouts. This is good for the coffers, as Winter's icy
grasp daily closes more tightly about us, but disallows a return to
my family's estate at Dorchester until Christmas-tide. Thus, I shall
pass Thanks-giving amongst the French fur-traders and Bavarian
farmers to the northwest of my camp. I do hope they are passably
familiar with our English tongue.
What news of you, sir? How are our mutual friends, Gen. Gardiner,
Monseigneur Sheehan, Dr. Hainline, et al? Do send my wishes for
healthe and happiness to each and every one. If you find it
convenient, do please send a dispatch soon. Until then, I remain,
Your servant,
Harte


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home