Thursday, June 15, 2006

Rich works his magic




Last night, Rich the Righteous Wrench from Community Bicycle supply took the CR1 out of the box and worked his magic. He requested that I bring the Trek in so that he could compare the two bikes and dial in my set up.

Riding the same bike for four years is a bit like using the same computer for four years. When you get something new, with modern technology, you can't help but be blown away by the difference.

The CR1 is between 10 and 20 times nicer than the Trek. Which isn't to say anything bad about the Trek, it's a fine bike. But it's been around for awhile. The new bike features 10-speed Ultegra components. Shimano components come in three levels; 105, which is good, Ultegra, which is super, and Dura Ace, which is Super Duper.

According to Rich, only three kinds of guys ride Dura Ace; doctors, lawyers, and people who make a living racing bicycles. Since I'm not one of those guys, I'm happy as can be with new Ultegra parts.

The frame itself is pretty sweet. I like the fit and finish, and the bike feels quick. The experts concur. According to PezCycling.com, "Scott is actually a Swiss company, and their head of engineering for bicycles is German. In other words, precision and performance are in their blood."

This bike weighs in at 16.94 pounds, which is pretty light. Not as light as the most expensive bikes on the market, but most of those guys you meet who own them are better at shining their bike than riding it.

On the wheel set, Pezcycling.com writes, "The Mavic Kysirium Elite wheels performed well, as expected from the boys in France. If they seemed a bit heavy, they were also plenty strong for average weight guys in their 40's. These are the wheels you can ride all-around, thrash 'em, trash 'em, put 'em away wet -- and they'll be back for more tomorrow."

Considering that I am a guy in my 40's, it appears that this bike will be a good match.

Rich took the time to dial in my fit, swap out the powertap wheel for the Scott, and put the Trek back together again.

There are all kinds of bicycle mechanics out there; some are happy, some are grouchy. Some like to work on anything. Others will only work on bikes they like. But if you find a bicycle mechanic you like, you've discovered one of the great values in the world.

For about a quarter of what a car mechanic gets, a great wrench like Rich will make sure your machine fits you just right. I believe the reason Rich has such good bicycle karma is he works with a wide range of people. Some of his clients are bicycle messengers. Others are riding beater bikes that aren't worth much. But Rich treats everybody the same, and nobody walks out of his shop with a frown.

Rich has kept my commuter bicycle running for four years now, and he's been there when I ripped a chain in half 20 miles from home. He made the adjustment that eliminated the knee pain, and gave me a 20% boost in power.

I don't know if I'll get to the finish line in Paris. But I wouldn't have gotten to the starting line in Strasbourg without him.

If you live in the Boston area, and you need a great mechanic, go see Rich at Community Bicycle Supply on Tremont Street. Phone, 617 542-8623. He'll set you up so you can enjoy your bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home