Friday, May 12, 2006

The Measles visit the workplace



Coach Josh has informed me that I am to avoid all germ-infested substances like elevator buttons, water fountain handles, and the handle on the men'’s room door. He says that as you become more fit, and leaner, your body'’s immune system becomes compromised, and you are more susceptible to illness. The last thing you want to be when you are climbing a mountain on a bicycle is sick.

So it was with no small amount of interest I read this recent missive delivered through the company e-mail system. I quote:

"Today the Boston Public Health Commission alerted us that an individual working at the John Hancock Tower has been diagnosed with measles."

Yikes!

The measles virus, picture above, is very contagious, and the virus can live for a good long while upon a surface like an elevator button. If I display any symptoms, I shall post a picture of myself heaving.

In the "We'll see"” department, the bikes Joe Tonon was going to get for the Tour may not be available. Every year, the distributor tells Joe he can get him the bikes on time, then when Joe goes to order them, the distributor tells him they'’re not available.

On numerous occasions, I have informed Mr. Tonon that I am an old dog, and it takes me a good long while to learn a new trick. I may well be riding my four-year-old bike with some new parts on it. This would not be terrible, as I have a lot of miles on my bike and am quite comfortable on it. Only downside is the new bike would’ve been at least 3-4 pounds lighter, which would help on the climbs.

Coach Josh is also keenly interested in a new bike, as the Klein he owns is super stiff, and even though Coach Josh tips the scales at 120 pounds soaking wet, fully fed, he can only ride the Klein for 3 hours before his lower back starts to scream.

Coach Josh earned a Trek on last year'’s Tour de France Challenge, but he sold it to pay the rent. Professional cyclists are like that. At the end of every season, they have a choice. Keep the equipment, or pay the rent. Hmm. Mostly, they choose to pay the rent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home