Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tom Woodard Award goes to Mark Nardi

The agency party was today. Mark Nardi won the Tom Woodard Award. Well done, Mark. This speech was given by Jean Whalen.


When Mike told me he wanted to talk with me about the Tom Woodard Award, I was psyched – another ten big ones, I thought! Only kidding. Actually, when I heard that I was going to introduce this year’s recipient, I was thrilled and honored. This year’s recipient is an extraordinary individual and one of my favorite people. But first, I’d like to clear something up about Tom, who was a good friend of mine.

Whenever I hear Tom described, it’s always in such glowing terms – “unwavering spirit and character,” “loyally dedicated to this agency,” and “exceptional leader.” He was all of those things and more – but what can get lost along the way is the fact that Tom was also a regular guy. Tom loved a big glass of scotch, a bit of agency gossip, and more than anything, a good, bawdy joke. It didn’t hurt that he was also incredibly handsome.

So, who are we honoring this year? I think Tom would be especially pleased with the 2008 recipient of the award that honors his legacy.

This person is one of our most inspiring mentors, sharing wisdom and passion for the business - and Hill, Holliday - with junior creative people, new account people, and junior producers, among others.

This person touches almost every piece of business we have. In the last year alone this person has run, worked on, or helped out on the Mass Lottery, the MFA, Dunkin’, Liberty, HPHC, Budweiser, John Hancock, LoJack, Perkins School for the Blind, and numerous new business wins, including Rockport and Toys R Us.

He even got a nun to approve his work for Catholic Charities. If you didn’t go to parochial school, you have no idea how difficult it is to get a nun to approve anything.

This person lives by a moral compass that is so accurate and unwavering, it inspires others who are not so certain of their course, to follow.

This person has quietly supported countless co-workers who raise money for good causes, and has written more videos, speeches and campaigns for charitable organizations than anyone I know.

A creative who leads by example, this person exemplifies all that is right and good about Hill, Holliday and is living proof that nice people can do great work. This person is a giant in a competitive business, but he chooses to be a gentle giant.

This person is a great family man with a wonderful wife, who swept him off his size 15 feet back when she worked at Hill, Holliday. Now they have two beautiful children, Jack and Emma.

For decades, he has made us laugh out loud with his award-winning TV spots, radio spots, and print ads. He has even penned speeches and jokes for some of Boston’s most important people.

To commemorate this occasion, I’ve written a joke myself. It’s my first. I’m not a professional, like this year’s recipient, so please, help me out and respond.

Knock, knock.

(come on, say “Who’s there?”)

CROWD: “Who’s there?”

Mark

CROWD: “Mark who?”

Mark Nardi, you won the Tom Woodard Award! Come on up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home