Saturday, September 09, 2006

Great Chase Race



Sailed in the Great Chase Race today with the father of the event, Bill Bradford. Twenty years ago, he envisioned the Great Chase Race as a way to revitalize sailing in Hull Bay. The slowest boats start first, the fastest start later. First to cross the line is the winner.

The event is billed as a "fun race" and it feeds the competitive racing classes that live on the bay. The fact that all these years later, there are still 75 boats on the line is testament to Bill's great vision. While I normally don't cotton to a Rhodes 19, I just can't say no to Bill, so I agreed to crew for him.

We got a good start, sailed well and were first at the first, second, and third marks. We dropped a boat at the fourth mark, but fought our way back. I thought we were going to win the whole thing, but the big boats reeled us in on the last downwind leg, and we ended up second in our division, to a J24, and fourth overall across the line. Not bad.

Afterward, Mrs. Berkeley joined us at the party for a glass of Gosling's Black Seal rum, my favorite. Bill gave me a Gosling's hat, which I gave to Mrs. Berkeley. Then I bought my own. Then Mrs. Berkeley bought a Gosling's hat for her favorite big boat skipper, and boss, Mr. Andrew Weiss.

When the boat hit the mooring, I had to run back to the house to get in a two-hour ride. I did my intervals, but cut the ride a bit short to be social. It would be great fun to take Coach Josh for a sail someday, as he lives in Arizona.