Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Update for the faithful


One of my favorite readers, who has a good in with the Lord, and actually prayed that I wouldn't be killed during the Tour asked for an update so here we go. What you see in the photo above is called, "The Party Bike." It seats seven in a circular shape.

The Party Bike cruises around Boston looking for people who like to, well, party. I was walking to the commuter boat when I saw one stopped at a light with the lone driver sitting there after a long day at work. Asked him if he wanted some help pedaling the party bike to the hotel where it waits for partiers. He said, "Yeah."

Before the light changed from red to green, I pulled the seat post up six inches or so, made myself comfortable. When the light changed, I leaned on the party bike hard, and gave it all I had. I was sitting sideways while going forward, so it wasn't a very good feeling. But there's no way that party bike ever went faster. We sprung over a big bump in the road and the tourists stuffing their faces at Legal Seafood gave us a good cheer.

If you think your life is lame, riding the party bike was the highlight of my week. How sad is that? There was a time when I rode with great company up mountains and down the other side. There was a time when I sailed in great gales of breeze, crashing and slashing through waves. And now I'm hoping to bum a little buzz off the party bike jockey.

Work is a challenge lately, so I shall have a party tomorrow morning. I'm getting up early, saddling up the Trek, and having at it.

Best to all,


JWB