Saturday, March 15, 2008

udpate from the road

Dear Reader,

We begin with a thank you to the patron Saint of all single men, Patrick Kildow who imparts great wisdom and asks for so little in return. Then we turn to sage Uncle Tom who knows a thing or two about combustion engines, and we offer him thanks and praise for the hard earned wisdom.

Now that those little chores are taken care of, we have our first update from the road in quite some time. In order to prove that spring might one day arrive, I headed north to the Maine Boatbuilders Show in Portland. This is different than most shows in that the people who are there actually know what they're talking about. The man standing next to the boat is often the very same man who built it.

I had the chance to meet Mr. Richard Pulsifer, and it was quite an honor. His motorboats are made of native wood from his yard, and I find them quite fetching.

I am not alone. George Putz of The Island Journal writes, "Dick Pulsifer is the premier builder of New England boats... The Pulsifer Hampton is the finest inboard
powered boating value currently offered for sale on the coast of Maine."

As is always the case, good work does not come cheaply. A new Pulsifer with trailer comes in at around $52,000. I shan't be buying one anytime soon.

The other beautiful boat at the show was Bernice, a gorgeous Hereshoff that had been restored to better-than-new condition.

Worn out by walking and gawking, your correspondent stopped by the Flatbread Pizza company in downtown Portland, and found the food to be filling and delicious. There's nothing like a brick oven pizza to satisfy a hunger.

In other matters, my employer is in the process of moving from the Back Bay to downtown Boston. You've never seen such a move in all your life. It's like the last day of college. Piles and piles of stuff are being tossed into dumpsters. There are over 4,500 crates waiting to be filled.

I packed up all my books and belongings and brought them all home. I'm determined to be a new man in the new space, free of the clutter of the past.

I hope you are well, and if you have some news, you drop me a line.

Warm regards from cold Maine,


JWB

George Putz
The Island Journal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home