Saturday, February 17, 2007

It's come to this

A long time ago, I spent my spare hours rebuilding boats. With more enthusiasm than skill, I sanded, schemed, varnished, and painted. The reward for such efforts was extra boatspeed on the race course.

Then, I rebuilt bicycles. The pleasant sensation of effort turning into forward motion, smoothly and silently, was well worth the time and energy.

Today, with all of that in my past, I rebuild a toilet. The better, stronger, faster commode features a new seat, new fill valve, and new tube from water supply to tank. Other homeowner moments featured the installation of a new nozzle (B-37 NS) in the humidifier that resides in the furnace, and the acquisition and installation of a new spine for an ancient door knob.

This is a sorry state of affairs. What glory is there in an overhauled hopper? Shall I boast to my friends? I no longer waste water, and my bowl refills with authority!