Friday, November 26, 2010

In Memory of Chris De Carlo


Hill, Holliday lost one of its most talented alumnae. Chris De Carlo died way too young at the age of 42 on Sunday, November 21. He worked at Hill, Holliday, DDB Chicago, ClarkeGoward, and freelanced at numerous shops.

Chris was a great writer, a pure talent who always found the right words. The tagline for his campaign for The Boston Herald was “Somebody’s got to say it,” but it may well have been the philosophy of how Chris lived his life.

Spencer Deadrick wrote, “I hired Chris twice. Once at ClarkeGoward, once here at HHCC. Both times, he made me quickly and constantly glad I did. Beyond being a phenomenally talented writer, Chris was — I know it's a word that gets tossed around pretty easily — truly an original. He was funny, incredibly quick witted, and really, really smart.

He was a sharp and unsparing judge of human character. He didn't see things differently than others, he simply saw things more clearly. And, despite a seemingly cynical exterior, Chris was very warm and very kind and very genuine.”

Dan O’Donnell was teamed up with Chris when they were both at Hill, Holliday. “Chris was the best headline writer ever and just one of the funniest people I have ever had the pleasure to hang with. I owe him my career. He made me look good, which is hard to do.”

Chris was admired by all of the writers who worked with him, including the first one to hire him, former HH writer George Goetz. “I gave Chris his first job in advertising. He gave me so much more. Years of laughter and friendship. I mean he was one of the funniest guys I've ever known. He would write something amazing here...he always topped me. God love you, Chris.”

Doug Gould noted that there was no middle ground with Chris. “Everything Chris did, he did with passion. And he approached his friends the same way. If Chris was your friend, he was your friend all the way. Always happy to see you. And quick with a smile. You’ll be missed Chris, and I know you could have written this better.”

That sentiment was echoed by many, including Eivind Ueland. “We could all use a great writer like De Carlo at a time like this to help us express how we feel. I will miss you, my friend and brother.”

Sean Farrell, one of Chris’s best friends wrote, “I'll miss your Beavis and Butthead imitations. I'll miss your red meat lunches. I'll miss "concepting" with you in dive bars. I'll miss your hatred for dollar bills. I'll miss your spot-on recaps of company parties. I'll miss your totally inappropriate headlines for conservative clients. I'll miss your hyena laugh when I read your totally inappropriate headlines for conservative clients. I'll miss your sarcasm and your cynicism. I'll miss your brutal honesty. I'll miss your amazing talent. I'll miss your generosity. I'll miss your friendship. Chris, you were truly a one of a kind and the world will be a little less funny and less real without you.”

Bill Murphy, a veteran of Hill, Holliday, speaks for us all. “Chris De Carlo was usually hilarious, often unsparing and invariably on target. A kind, talented man who we’ve lost much too soon. My condolences to the De Carlo family.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home