Wednesday, November 12, 2008

new post about the sublime Noble

So we had a meeting with the client the other day and I introduced Scott Noble as a second- generation ad man, but I didn't get the entire story correct. Noble's father was a great writer and a member of the Advertising Hall of Fame. Consider these scripts his dad wrote for Volkswagen. They still gives me the chills. All these years later, the words still crackle off the page. What a great feeling it must be to know you have the DNA of a Hall of Fame writer pumping through your system.




VO: Mr. Jones and Mr Krempler were neighbors. The each had three thousand dollars. With his money, Mr. Jones bought himself a three-thousand dollar car. With his money, Mr. Krempler bought himself a new refrigerator, a new range, a new washer, a new dryer, a record player, two new television sets, and a brand new Volkswagen. Now Mr. Jones is faced with that age-old problem: keeping up with the Kremplers.




VO: I, Maxwell E. Snaberly, being of sound mind and body, do hereby bequeath the following: to my wife Rose, who spent money like there was no tomorrow, I leave one hundred dollars and a calendar. To my sons Rodney and Victor, who spent every dime I ever gave them on fancy cars and fast women, I leave fifty dollars in dimes. To my business partner Jules who's only motto was spend, spend, spend, I leave nothing, nothing, nothing. And to my other friends and relatives who also never learned the value of a dollar I leave a dollar. Finally to my nephew Harold, who ofttimes said, "A penny saved is a penny earned," and who also ofttimes said, "Gee Uncle Max, it sure pays to won a Volkswagen," I leave my entire fortune of one hundred billion dollars.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home