Friday, January 18, 2008

great adventures

Our old friend from ClarkeGowardFitts, Mr. Jim Fitts, is running the Photographic Resource Center at Boston University. He says it's the best low-paying job he's ever had.

He needed a speaker to attend a round table discussion. My boss wasn't available. Kevin Daley was playing hockey. Dave had tennis night. Mike Sheehan threw me in the game.

Here are my opening remarks,

"My name is Joe Berkeley. I am a group creative director at Hill, Holliday. It’s a great honor to be here tonight. Jim Fitts made the bad decision to hire me back in 1988. After he told me how lucky I was to be at ClarkeGowardFitts, he informed me I would be working nights, weekends and holidays. But it was all worth it, because I would be building a great book and making the unheard of salary of $14,000 a year.
As you would suspect, I have owed Mr. Fitts ever since. Jim, after tonight, we are even.

I am here to represent Hill, Holliday, the buy side. I spoke with all of the art directors whose work I’ll be presenting tonight, and they all said pretty much the same thing:

When they have a campaign, it is based on a concept. And they want to hire the photographer who is going to bring the concept to life. It almost always starts with the concept.

One art director said a lot of photographers are Jacks of All Trades, Masters of None. He told me he wants to work with someone who is a Master of what he is trying to capture."

The other panelists were great people. John Goodman is an extraordinary photographer. He said something that stuck with me, "One photograph leads to the next." He shot high fashion advertising campaigns for about ten years and to get that out of his system started shooting at a grungy gym in New York. That lead to a book. Which lead to an editorial assignment for the New York Times shooting ballet dancers backstage at the New York Ballet.

I brought ten campaigns from Hill, Holliday and explained what the art directors were thinking. It is odd that some of the audience members were hostile to ad agencies in general and art directors in particular.

I don't get that. John Goodman said he loves collaborating, he loves talented art directors. He's not so fond of untalented art directors, but who is?

Spin class this morning featured a full house. David Hymovitz, former Captain of the BC team joined Fitcorp and showed up ready to ride. Then B. Lane MacDonald, the former captain of the Harvard team, an Olympian, and member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame, arrived and sat next to David and they were going pedal stroke for pedal stroke, reliving the glory days. Great men to have in your midst.

Kate J. May, a former National Champion for Hobart Sailing Team, and Anne David, who has the funniest dating stories on earth, were front and center. Overall, we had a great group of positive, enthusiastic athletes. Class featured five climbs and when it was over nobody said it was easy. At one point, I looked down and my heart rate was pinned and the class was spinning and all was good.

Hope you are well and getting some exercise. It's good for the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home