Wednesday, May 23, 2007

another fantasy ends, how predictable


I had a huge crush on this bicycle, the Amsterdam Electra. I liked its old-school charm, and thought that its Nexus 3-speed hub would give me a smooth ride. I never got around to road testing the bike, because let's be real, who needs a fifth bicycle?

Then I was sitting in a recording studio for the day, which may be the most depressing thing on earth, to be incarcerated in a windowless room, when after the talent was recorded, I made the executive decision to go for a walk.

Just around the corner I found Landry's Bicycle Shop, the place where my Cannondale m300 came from so many years ago. Right inside the front door was the Amsterdam Electra. It said, "Jojo, you want me!"

Damn straight. I gave Scott the shop employee my license and took off for a test drive. While the bicycle looks substantial, it is quite flimsy. The handle bars are super bendy. The handling is twitchy. The coaster brakes are awful.

Then there's the dreaded back tire flat. What would you do? You'd remove the chain guard, wrestle the wheel out of its frame and jacket guard, change it, and put it back together. This could occupy the better part of a day.

The laid back position on the bike feels unnatural and inefficient. Maybe if you hadn't ridden a bike in 25 years this bike would be appealing, but right now, it's junk.

Speaking of which, I was commuting on the 5200 this morning when I heard a "Bang!" Couldn't feel anything so I kept going. Later this morning, I learned that I had blown out a spoke on the back wheel, which is now out of true by several inches. Not good.

It's possible my back wheel is wasted. Will have to get a new spoke and see if it can be saved. I'm pretty surprised the wheel didn't taco, as I am huge lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home