Jumbo Alumnae Regatta
17 Jumbos turned out for the alumnae regatta. In a light northerly that eventually became raceable, old and young alums got to test the super-fast Larks with carbon fibre spars. Coach Ken is proud of his Larks, and justifiably so. He says they sail at the speed of the wind up to 5 knots and claims to use 420's as marks.
I ended up 8th out 17th. Most races, I was the last boat in the top group, or the first boat in the last group, depending upon how you look at it. I had forgotten just how light college crews are. Kate, a junior who usually crews for rock star Zander Kirkland, tipped the scales at 110 pounds and always put herself in just the right spot.
Coach Ken has big plans for next year's alumnae regatta. He's going to be including parents. Good idea.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home