Recovery World
Twelve hours after getting home, I turned around and went back to Logan to fly to Los Angeles for work. I did not bring the bike. I am here to work, to recover, and to try to get my overuse injuries under control. I thought I'd gain 10 pounds the second I stopped riding, but it hasn't happened. So far, I've only gained two, but I'm sure that will change.
After staying in a range of hotels in Europe, an American hotel with AC and all of the trimmings is a welcome respite. My internal clock is off by at least 9 hours, so sleep is a challenge.
According to Director Joe Tonon, going straight back to work is the best thing you can do right after the Tour de France Challenge. One of my teammates told me he was depressed last year for several months when the Tour was over.
Oddly, cyclists are more prone to depression than most athletes, so it's something you want to keep under control. The hotel has a gym, an after thought in the basement with one stationary bicycle and a variety of weights. I have looked at it twice and just kept walking. The legs aren't back yet and I am still walking around like an old man with open sores on the bottoms of his feet. I don't need a walker, but I do need some time to get better.
The undercarriage sure took a beating and I sit down on soft surfaces slowly, deliberately, like an old dog trying to make sure there's nothing prickly underneath me. I'm just starting to get a little perspective on the adventure, and find it appreciates with time. I'm already starting to forget the most unpleasant parts of the journey, and savoring the happy moments.
A grand adventure opens a door to a new world, and once that door is open, there's no closing it again. I hope the next epic adventure will include Mrs. Berkeley. It may involve a sail around the world. She's requested a vessel large enough for her five dogs and grand piano. That would be quite a boat.
Regards from Santa Monica,
JWB
After staying in a range of hotels in Europe, an American hotel with AC and all of the trimmings is a welcome respite. My internal clock is off by at least 9 hours, so sleep is a challenge.
According to Director Joe Tonon, going straight back to work is the best thing you can do right after the Tour de France Challenge. One of my teammates told me he was depressed last year for several months when the Tour was over.
Oddly, cyclists are more prone to depression than most athletes, so it's something you want to keep under control. The hotel has a gym, an after thought in the basement with one stationary bicycle and a variety of weights. I have looked at it twice and just kept walking. The legs aren't back yet and I am still walking around like an old man with open sores on the bottoms of his feet. I don't need a walker, but I do need some time to get better.
The undercarriage sure took a beating and I sit down on soft surfaces slowly, deliberately, like an old dog trying to make sure there's nothing prickly underneath me. I'm just starting to get a little perspective on the adventure, and find it appreciates with time. I'm already starting to forget the most unpleasant parts of the journey, and savoring the happy moments.
A grand adventure opens a door to a new world, and once that door is open, there's no closing it again. I hope the next epic adventure will include Mrs. Berkeley. It may involve a sail around the world. She's requested a vessel large enough for her five dogs and grand piano. That would be quite a boat.
Regards from Santa Monica,
JWB


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home