Saturday, July 22, 2006

Final stage, Paris

Paris

Today’s stage took us to Paris. It was a great transition to the real world. On our journey, we had over 200 traffic lights to slow our progress.

Overall, the team was feeling united at having accomplished the objective. Everyone was thrilled to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance. On a trip like this, one unpleasant person could make life excessively painful for all. Fortunately, everyone was great, and a good time was had by all.

As far as accommodations are concerned, we have finished in spectacular fashion. The Hotel Regina in Paris has everything you could want: charm, AC, high ceilings, pleasant staff, every amenity you could ever want.

The team is sitting in Director Joe Tonon’s room watching the time trial, hoping for the victory of Floyd Landis. The Danes are elsewhere singing drinking songs, praising the glorious Team CSC.

Tonight, is our big celebration dinner.

The end of the Tour de France Challenge is the end of a dream, and the beginning of a return to reality. On Monday, I fly home to Boston. On Tuesday, I fly to Los Angeles for work.

For the past 2,100 miles or so, my rear end has been attached to the official team bicycle, the Scott CR1 Pro. It is a great bicycle. I have climbed on it, descended on it, and ridden it on the flats.

The bicycle is smooth and stiff. I had no back problems at all, which I usually do after 100 miles, and overall, enjoyed the sensations of being on the bike.

The 10-speed Ultegra group is excellent. I am a true Ultegra guy, and find it satisfying and suited to my purposes.

I rode the seat that arrived with the bicycle, and found it to be as pleasing as possible, given the circumstances. The bar tape was first rate. The only modification was the switch to a compact crank, which worked very well. Everyone who had a nice time had a compact crank. Those who didn’t suffered.

Of the 3 powertaps that were on the trip, mine is the only one that functioned to the end. Before I left, I replaced all of the batteries, bought a new wiring kit, new CPU, and a new rebuild kit, that included a new axle, new gaskets, and dust cap. Rich at Community Bike helped me, which was great.

I rode a standard Mavic Open Pro rim, and found it to be suited to the task. The good folks at Saris, who make the powertap, believe that is the correct rim for the Tour de France Challenge for a rider on a budget. If money were no object, I would prefer the inspired zipp wheel.

And now, dear reader, for those considering riding next year, I share some secret information that I paid dearly to acquire.

Coach Josh told me to bring a few cans of Hunt’s red pasta sauce, and that I did. At the cost of 2/$1.00 in the States, I found them to be priceless in France. Don’t forget to bring your can opener. In the mountains of France, you will be served overcooked pasta, but you will not be served any sauce. If you’re lucky, you’ll get olive oil and grated cheese. To be able to sprinkle something red on your overcooked pasta is good for morale. Anything that’s good for morale is good for riding.

Joshua Dean also informed me I should bring one top sheet. I did and it too was useful. Some rooms had large comforters, which would be good if it were cold. Given that it was often hot beyond description, the top sheet came in handy.

I did not bring some Udderly Smooth cream, nor did I bring Bag Balm cream. Both are used to keep milking cows happy. If I had to do it again, I would. Those who used the aforementioned creams said they were good for the morale of the undercarriage, and that is good for the morale of the rider.

If I were to do the TDFC again, I would bring one very small fan with a clamp on it. The small fan would be great for morale in the hotels, and it wouldn’t take up much room in the suitcase.

If I were to do the TDFC again, I would take a long look at the Fizik Aliante saddle. All the big dogs rode it, and seemed to enjoy it.

And now, for some predictions. If Jay hires Coach Josh, as he should, I predict he will improve by at least 20%. He is a great athlete, and if Coach Josh pushes the right buttons, as he will, Jason will give his brother a run for his money, as he should.

Speaking of money, we’ve raised more than $20,500 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and for that, I thank the supporters. That’s the reason I’m here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

Your trip sounds amazing. Congratulations, and happy belated birthday!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home