Dispatch from Hyeres, Final
Dispatch from Hyeres, Final
The Aussies who came here travelled
for 24 hours and they mention it as if they strolled around the corner to pick
up a pain au chocolate. They are great competitors, great people, and are
always up for an adventure.
This morning, we were
postponed for an hour or so as the race committee waited for breeze. A few
grumbled that they should just call it as the breeze wasn’t going to fill. But
it did. And we went sailing.
As five hundred boats sailed
out of the channel, one came back against the grain. Scott Ferguson had
forgotten to put his yellow band on the check out board, which results in a
3-point penalty. He sailed back in, dropped off his bracelet and made it to the
line with plenty of time to spare.
Many opted for their lightest
sailing clothes, except for a few like Al Clark who had on his full hikers. The
breeze continued to fill and those who store a spray top beneath their
lifejacket, like Mark Bear, quickly donned them. The wind was at 85 degrees,
and quite enjoyable, the line was just about square and when the sun came out
the breeze seemed to go right.
The first start for the gold
Standard Masters fleet was a general
recall. Shope started closer to the pin than Scott Ferguson, who was closer to
the middle. And then they were off.
The Standard Masters Silver
fleet was the fourth to start, and we weren’t sure if we would get our two
races off, as the sailing instructions specify we cannot start after 3:00 pm. I
got a clear air start, sailed my own race, found my way to the right side of
the course when the sun came out, and found myself in 10th downwind.
I was able to play the waves and reeled in a sailor from Greece on the last
beat to finish 9th, my best race of the regatta. As I crossed the
finish line, I salute the committee boat, “Monsieur, Merci beaucoup. Viva La France!”
I believe Peter Shope ended
up third overall and Scott Ferguson finished fourth. Al Clark kept his top-ten
position, and of course, the Aussie Brett Beyer won the regatta for our
division.
The anxiety of returning the
boats to the charter boat company was alleviated when the silver fleet was sent
in as there was not enough time for us to have a second race. There are
hundreds and hundreds of charter boats, so I thought getting it back to the
company would be pure mayhem. Since we were first in line, it was quite simple,
actually. We just took our boats apart and gave them back.
The last fleet on the race
course will be the one where it gets sporty as there are a couple of dollies
missing and no one wants to spend 600 Euros on a dolly that was stolen or
otherwise.
This was a great adventure
and I have to thank my wife Lisa for encouraging me to sail. I never would have
made the leap if she hadn’t pushed for it. It’s easy to say, “I’m not ready for
the Worlds, maybe next year.” She said, “how about this year? And maybe you
should get a coach.”
Thanks to Coach Peter, I was
able to compete with dignity, complete each race, and stay out of the fetal
position in the bottom of the boat. I have a long way to go on my journey to
becoming a competent Laser sailor, but you have to start somewhere. The
camaraderie of being part of fleet 413 is extraordinary. The farther you get
from home, the more people look out for each other. Thanks to the RC for getting off races with
500 boats to figure into the equation. It wasn’t easy, but it was a lot of fun.
Next year, I hope to be at the Worlds in Canada with all of my favorite Fleet
413 people. It will be a grand adventure.
Au Revoir,
Joe


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home