Tuesday, August 14, 2007

what once was lost now is found

During yesterday's commute, as I climbed the temporary bridge which spans the Fore River, and is very narrow, sketchy, and technical, I felt a flip flop slide out of my backpack. Rather than turn around and be killed, I pressed onward.

That night, I just didn't have the energy to ride over the bridge, change lanes, ride back the other way, and look for it.

I've been seeing the same junk and detritus on the side of the road for years now, and I couldn't imagine anyone pulling over to grab one Vineyard Vines pink flip flop. So I figured it could wait until the next day.

This morning, I was delayed from my commute by a flat rear tire. I keep bending the stem on the valve, eventually it breaks off. You can get one ride out of it. But when you go to refill the tire with air, it blows.

While starting your day changing a flat is never a thrill, it is great to be in the comfort of one's own home with your floor pump and tools shining about you.

The notion of looking for the flip flop kept the same old commute interesting, and halfway up the bridge I spied it, upside down, on the side of the road. I stopped, scooped it up, stashed it in a pocket, and started pedaling before I could be smooshed by a truck or T bus.

This pair of flip flops has been chewed on by Frito Bandito, the Labrador retriever puppy. It has been left to die on the side of the road. But now it's found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home