names from the past
There I was, stripping shingles and tar paper off the small corner of the mudroom, when a name appeared on the sheating below the tar paper. Peter Mahoney, February 23, 1971. Two other names appeared as well, Arthur Augenstern, and another that escapes me.
Old houses are filled with stories. Most of them aren't good. This one was a surprise, especially considering the fact that I saw Mr. Mahoney the day before walking down the seawall. He remembered shingling the house and talked about how cold it was.
The shingles were more along the lines of cedar shakes. They had no taper, just straight from one end to another. They must have looked beautiful back in 1971. Now, 36 years later, they looked pretty tired and cupped and worn.
After admiring the signatures, it was time to cover the wood in ice and water shield. But not before I added my own signature to the collection, and the date.
If these shingles last 36 years, that will be long enough for me.
Best to all,
JWB


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home