CEO Mike Sheehan and young speaker Tim Burke
Tim Burke rocked the house last night with his speech. Southie kids still have it and lots of it. Here is a transcript of Tim's speech.
So hey, who else is Uber-Excited about the big move from the L Drive to the K Drive, anyone?
Thank you very much. First off, I would like to say that it is both an honor and a privilege to be able to stand before you tonight as the Young Speaker. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Tim Burke and I work in the broadcast department as an Associate Producer.
When Mike and Karen first asked me to come see them both in Mike’s office, I’m not going to lie to you…..I was so nervous, I almost Baba Shettyed myself. However, much to my surprise the news was upbeat as Mike and Karen told me that I was selected to be the Young Speaker at this year's Anniversary Party. They mentioned that this year was very special because after 27 years in the Hancock Tower, we are ushering out an old era to begin anew within these walls. Mike and Karen both told me that because of the significance of this year they wanted to bring a sense of integrity and importance to the meaning of the young speaker….
I began to think long and hard about how to present an important message that meant something to me and more importantly something you all could relate to. So, I went home that day and told my buddies that I couldn’t get Rabschnucked with them on the weekends, because I needed to get my Aldarondos in a row so I could Butterworth my Whipple into shape and deliver a message that would Betsy Wachtel you all with a side order of Alicia Erickson, for those who doesn’t know what that stands for, it means dropping some knowledge…. But don’t worry, I promise you that we will all be nice and Briggsied by the end of the night when Mike and Karen kindly pick up the tab.
I have been working at Hill Holliday for almost 4 and half years beginning my journey directly out of college in the accounting department. I didn’t know much about advertising but I know I needed to get my foot in the door. I spent two years in the accounting department as a production biller getting acquainted with our dear old friend Datatek. Speaking of which….Brian Kockernack, we love you to death man, but I’m pretty sure I speak for everyone when I tell you that we don’t care that Datateck is currently down…. at 4:45 in the morning….on a Sunday….during Christmas vacation.
As I was saying, my goal was to somehow get into the production department and become a producer. For two years I went down to the Head of the Broadcast department to plead my case. I tried everything I could to show interest, to show desire, to show passion for something I knew I would be good at, for something I knew I needed to be a part of. Unfortunately, the opportunity wasn’t available at the time. Some of the reasons for this were valid, others not so valid. For example, I was told I was really really really really good looking and that my huge muscles would be a distraction to all my co-workers, a price that beauty sometimes makes you pay….but let’s be serious, you all probably don’t have that same problem and therefore couldn’t relate…. Jim French is motioning in the audience to quiet down as the lawsuit is still pending….
Throughout my life, I have been blessed with an amazing family and friends who have taught me values, determination, and as you can probably tell, humility. My parents afforded me every opportunity possible to succeed and have taught me how to handle situations in the appropriate manner. I always try to prove to others that I have the work ethic, intelligence, sense of humor and determination to be the best that I could be…did I mention really killer calf muscles too? Karen, I see you checking me out up here….My eyes are up here Karen.....Unfortunately, the last time I checked, Mom and Dad Burke weren’t handing out promotions on the Hill Holliday board of trustees. But if they were, they told me you all would get a raise starting today……except for you Brian Kockernack…..you know why, see Datatech reference earlier in this speech, we really don’t need to go over that again.
In this “real world”, I needed to find new motivation and new means to succeed through mentors and leadership. I’ll be honest with you all, there have been too many nights where I was working late past Midnight wondering what I was doing with my life, wondering does Dunkin’ Donuts even care that I am here this late ….and why am I missing the season finale of Grey’s Anatomy? They might not, but I did, for no one else but myself because I cared. And damn that Dr. Mcdreamy….that smug SOB, why couldn’t he just get back together with Grey?
I finally reached my boiling point, I wasn’t moving in a direction in which I had envisioned nor did I feel like my skills were truly being utilized. I needed a change and nothing was going to alter my mind.
Luckily as fate would have it I found the guidance in a woman that talked me from the proverbial ledge and reminded me I was a 23 year old kid who had not even begun to tap my potential. This woman brought me back to reality, showed me the very things that I thought I knew, but in fact did not. This person was a mentor and a leader, but more importantly a friend who was giving back because she too was once in my boat staring unknowingly into the future.
Every one of us has been on an airplane where they give instructions on safety before the flight takes off. The one reference that has always stuck out in my head was how they teach you in the case of emergency to always pull the oxygen mask over you face first and secure your own safety guard before you attempt to assist others. The point of this is very simple; you can’t save others if you are a victim yourself. You cannot lead people to safety if you are the one that needs to be saved. You cannot give back and set an example if you are the one panicking. This person had her oxygen mask on and safety device secured and was being a leader and mentor to me. For that, I will be forever grateful to her and anyone else who has gotten me to the point in my life I am at today.
Ladies and gentleman, please allow me to thank Joyce Hurd.... that and I promised her lunch for almost a year and still haven’t made good on my promise, I figure this will buy me at least one get out of jail free card.
The message I would like to send is that we have so many smart, funny, intelligent people who we work with every day, begging for an opportunity to prove themselves and we have so many people that have the power to teach, lead, and mentor. We are switching offices and this presents a clean slate, an opportunity for change, and an opportunity to begin anew and make an impact. I would like to ask the people that have the power and opportunity to continue setting examples, to keep pushing the stars of the future and provide assistance wherever possible. You all have done a great job in the past, but now as we develop and grow towards bigger and better plans to keep at it.
The bottom line is that there isn’t a person in this room who hasn’t been given a chance by someone else in their lives to make an impact in their careers or who hasn’t begged for the chance to get ahead.
I want to thank you all for allowing me to speak here tonight and I would like to close by sharing some song lyrics that have taught me another important lesson in life that I think we can all learn from:
LYRICS (Speaking):
I gotta take a little time
A little time to think things over
I better read between the lines
In case I need it when I'm older
Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders
Through the clouds I see love shine
It keeps me warm as life grows colder
In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
Can't stop now, I've traveled so far
To change this lonely life
(PAUSE)
(SINGING)
I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what love is
I know you can show me
Ladies and gentleman, the point I am trying to make is that every once in a while we need to take a step back, crack a joke, learn to laugh at ourselves, work hard but enjoy the smaller moments that make working at Hill Holliday so special.
Thank you all again so much, lets enjoy this evening and get Briggsied tonight.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home