big small dog, or small big dog

Steve Kirkpatrick gets it done off the breeze.
Given the way the Lord made me, I have a choice in the size of my person. I can become a big small dog. By riding the bike 250-300 miles a week, I can get down to 164 pounds. This makes me a big small dog in the Laser class radial rig.
If I ride less, let's say 100-150 miles a week, lift weights, and eat often, I can balloon up to 180 pounds, which makes me a small big dog in the Laser class full rig.
Having given the issue some thought, I decided to be a small big dog. The problem with being a big small dog is you get so skinny your bones stick out everywhere and you compromise your immune system. The body is also not so good at sailing, as it's built to just propel a bicycle forward. And when it blows hard, you're toast. The fat guys just womp on you on account of the fact that they weigh at least 195 pounds.
On a previous occasion, Steve Kirkpatrick, who is pictured above, offered to lend me his "back fat." Only problem was he said if it blew, he wanted it back. Neither a borrower nor a lender be, so I decided to get my own back fat.
After a season of humiliations, capsizes, and other indignities too numerous to recount, the small big dog program finally paid off on Sunday. I had a close second in one race, almost winning it. In another race, I had a top ten finish. For the day, I finished 8th out of 42. Top 10 in a day was one of the goals for the year.
The two good races were a bonus. The day's goal was to display good sportsmanship and have "mind of Buddha" on the race course. It felt good to have a nice moment on the race course, and I was pleased to sail my own race without thinking about what other people were doing.
Sailing Lasers is a bit like riding bicycles. It's a lot of hard work, a lot of suffering, a lot of humiliation, and on occasion, moments of great glory. I never thought an 8th place would be a moment of glory, but unless you've sailed in the Newport Laser Fleet, you have no idea how tough it is.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home